httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: SSI for gzipped files
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2005 06:56:37 GMT

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> At 04:17 PM 7/22/2005, Jem Berkes wrote:
> >> I have an idea for someone to implement and give me credit for. I
> >> recently needed to have my SSI work from a gz file. The server-intensive
> >> way to make
> >
> >Interesting, I've wanted to accomplish the same thing but couldn't figure
> >out a good way to do it. Maybe there are a lot of people who need this?
>
> I think we need a slightly more intellegent hook insertion
> schema; something that a hook can identify what C-L/C-T/T-E that
> it can grok (SSI would play stupid, of course) and httpd would
> inject appropriately registered filters in front, and afterwards.

Indeed.  The underlying idea is not new, but applying it to SSI
(a very specific *serverside* hack) doesn't make sense.  Javascript
has browser support, or if you're looking to something more SSI-like,
consider XML techniques that browsers might sometime support.

> The exact schema and syntax escapes me at the moment, but this is
> something that interested Nick Kew, refactoring our filter ordering
> and registration schema.  You raise a good point for the crowd to
> consider.

Well, that's two things I've done in there.  One was to add an
uncompression output filter in mod_deflate; the other was the smart
filter architecture (mod_filter).  That's what the OP described as a
server-intensive solution, and supports serverside processing of
compressed or otherwise encoded contents in a proxy situation
where you have absolutely no control of the incoming contents.

--
Nick Kew