httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <>
Subject Re: Initial mod_smtpd code.
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:53:43 GMT
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Paul A Houle wrote:

> Jem Berkes wrote:
> >
> >I could also start work on a mod_smtpd_dnsbl if the mentors feel that is
> >worthwhile? This would look up a connecting IP address against a blacklist
> >and return a descriptive string to mod_smtpd if the client should be
> >rejected with an error: "550 5.7.1 Email rejected because is
> >listed by"
> >
> >I'd also like to include support for RHSBL, a newer type of listing by
> >domain names from the envelope sender address. That's used by a growing
> >number of projects.
> >

>     Overall blacklists aren't that effective and cause a lot of false
> positives.

The issue is about developing enabling technology.  Jem's proposals
are for a couple of modules we'd like to see developed.  A spamassassin
filter is also on the wishlist, but availability of solutions that avoid
the formidable spamassassin overhead seem to me a Good Thing.

Perhaps the answer is for Jem's modules to have options either to
reject outright or to accept but increment a score that can then
be aggregated with results from other modules.

Nick Kew

View raw message