httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: mod-cache-requestor plan
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:06:40 GMT

On 7/11/05 11:48 PM, "Parin Shah" <parin.soc@gmail.com> wrote:

 should be
> refreshed. but, if we consider keeping non-popular but expensive pages in
> the cache, in that case houw would te mod-c-requester would make the
> decision?

We have been down this road.  The way one might solve it is to allow
mod_cache to be able to reload an object while serving the "old" one.

Example:

cache /A for 600 seconds

after 500 seconds, request /A with special header (or from special client,
etc) and cache does not serve from cache, but rather pretends the cache has
expired.  do normal refresh stuff.

The cache will continue to server /A even though it is refreshing it

Make any sense? This way, a simple cron job can be used to refresh desired
objects.

Also, one of the flaws of mod_disk_cache (at least the version I am looking
at) is that it deletes objects before reloading them.  It is better for many
reasons to only replace them.  That's the best way to accomplish what I
described above.

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer