httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: apr_pool_cleanup_kill() -- thread-safety?
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:49:10 GMT
On Jul 21, 2005, at 9:00 PM, KB Sriram wrote:
> I stumbled across this issue, chasing a bug from a module that gets
> into an infinite loop.
>
> It looked to me that the following section of code within
> apr_pool_cleanup_kill is not thread-safe.

Pools, for efficiency, are thread local data structures.  Each pool is,
in effect owned, by one thread.  Of course with sufficient
synchronization/coordination you can share pools and
their memory between threads.   But it requires that all threads
involved have the right stuff.  Existing pools and their threads are
unlikely to.  I'm assuming your have a thread
of your own, and so I think you may wish to give it it's own pool; a
subpool a pool
with a longer lifetime.

----
http://enthusiasm.cozy.org   http://gibbon.cozy.org