httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Hackathon Attendees
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:45:57 GMT
>> Yeah, no kidding.  We haven't made any decisions yet.  Decisions
>> are what happens when people vote on releases or changes.  Did one
>> of those go by and I didn't notice?  Nope.
>
> Yup - branching 2.1.x - 2.2.x - trunk.

No, branching is part of the task of an RM.  It is not a decision
of the group, nor is it subject to vote, for the same reason we
do not allow people to veto releases.  As long as the RM is doing
it for a good reason (i.e., preparing a tarball, not just dicking
around), then we want them to use the version management tools the
way that they are intended to be used.

Nobody is forced to support the new branch.  Nobody is forced to
vote to release it.  It doesn't exist for the public until we vote
to release it, so just keep working on what you are doing and ignore
the dude behind the curtains.  At least until he asks us to make
a decision.

....Roy