httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:33:52 GMT
At 01:26 PM 7/7/2005, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
>inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
>graduation from the Incubator.

++1

I see this more valuable to httpd as a case study in alternate
protocols than the ftp: scheme it offers.  Until we have several
modules, mod_snmp, mod_ftp, etc, we will never truly recognize
where we must divide connection from resource from request.

Some have asked if there is anything more to do.  Others asked
if it would support -x- (caching, content, whatever).

Resources are served as sub-requests of the 'connection' (login)
request.  So they can contain anything, be cached or not, etc.
The entire gamut of what you can serve from http: flows to ftp:

But certainly more can be done.  The request model in an httpd 2.2
or 2.4 version can become much cleaner, as we better divide the
components of httpd.

Bill