httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r208777 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/include/ap_mmn.h
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:33:43 GMT
At 12:59 PM 7/1/2005, André Malo wrote:
>* wrowe@apache.org wrote:
>
>>   Change Apache httpd 2.1 signature to "AP21" as this flavor
>>   is binary-incompatible to any "AP20" module.
>
>Hmm. What other incompatibilities than the normal mmn bumps does this catch?
>The module structure hasn't changed...

The meaning of the major.minor mmn differs.  They aren't mutually
exclusive.

>I'm in favour of keeping AP20 until this one is changed, i.e. vote -0 on
>that change right now.

If we revert (we can) then every bump to 2.0 major mmn (lets say
by a 3rd party who changes the API internally) results in a date
which is forward of 2.1's mmn.  This is simply badness.

Since 2.0 modules, via the evolving API, no longer remain safely
compatible with 2.1, I'm of the mind that the mmn's should be
segregated by MODULE_MAGIC_COOKIE.

Bill