httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Maynard <nick.mayn...@alumni.doc.ic.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Dispatching MPM
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:02:37 GMT
> Feedback greatly appreciated...
Hello Michal,

This sounds like a great idea!  Obviously, perchild is dead, so needs a
replacement.  MetuxMPM doesn't handle SSL at all, which is a serious
limitation for anyone who wants to use it seriously (after all, who uses
a perchild model for security and doesn't use SSL?).

Something to throw into the mix - mod_php.  As we all know mod_php
doesn't like threaded environments (dependencies on non threadsafe
libraries), and as such admins are limited to using process-based MPMs.
  Can I suggest you consider making the MPM thread/process agnostic?
This way two MPMs, one process-based and one thread-based, could be
created from the same codebase, allowing admins to select the one that's
best for their setup.  Forgive me if I've hit on a technical
impossibility - my coding skills have sadly deteriorated since university.

Thanks,

--

Nick Maynard
nick.maynard@alumni.doc.ic.ac.uk