httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul A Houle <p...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Initial mod_smtpd code.
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:56:11 GMT
Jem Berkes wrote:

>I could also start work on a mod_smtpd_dnsbl if the mentors feel that is
>worthwhile? This would look up a connecting IP address against a blacklist
>and return a descriptive string to mod_smtpd if the client should be
>rejected with an error: "550 5.7.1 Email rejected because 127.0.0.2 is
>listed by sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org"
>
>I'd also like to include support for RHSBL, a newer type of listing by
>domain names from the envelope sender address. That's used by a growing
>number of projects.

    Overall blacklists aren't that effective and cause a lot of false
positives.  They may make sense in the case of something like
SpamAssassin which uses a blacklist in conjunction with other false
positives,  but by themselves they really aren't a responsible way of
dealing with the spam problem.  I think it's better to discourage "worst
practices" than to sucumb to plugin mania.