httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r219372 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h modules/proxy/mod_proxy.c modules/proxy/mod_proxy.h
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:32:16 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> A new structure member (at the end of an httpd-allocated structure)
>
> This one can be tricky to manage. Since every structure in httpd is
> accessable to modules, it is possible for a custom module to allocate
> structures and pass them back into the server. If the module allocates
> space for an old version of a structure and passes that pointer back
> into httpd, the results are, well, predictable in an unpredictable kind
> of way.

That's true if the module allocated struct can be used in the core
itself. I think the William is right about that, as well as you are :)

If the changed struct can be pushed back to the core and the rest of
modules, then we need a major module bump. In other case it's only the
minor, because the rest of the world will still have all the data
from the previous minor.

Regards,
Mladen.