httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r219372 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h modules/proxy/mod_proxy.c modules/proxy/mod_proxy.h
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:22:46 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 12:12 AM 7/17/2005, ianh@apache.org wrote:
>
>>Author: ianh
>>Date: Sat Jul 16 22:12:10 2005
>>New Revision: 219372

>>Log:
>>This patch adds a new hook (request_status) that gets ran in proxy_handler
>>just before the final return.  This gives modules an opportunity to do
>>something based on the proxy status.
>>[...]
>>new hook -- so mmn bump.. i made it a major one, hope thats ok
>

> We only bump major when we -change- an existing API or drop an
> API which is no longer supported.  E.g. anyone using the old
> major might have been using something we no longer provide.
>
> A new structure member (at the end of an httpd-allocated structure)

This one can be tricky to manage. Since every structure in httpd is accessable to modules,
it is possible for
a custom module to allocate structures and pass them back into the server. If the module allocates
space for
an old version of a structure and passes that pointer back into httpd, the results are, well,
predictable in
an unpredictable kind of way.

Bill