httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: mod_mbox and i18n
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:36:06 GMT
Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last week, we've been discussing what mod_mbox should output (XML+XSLT
> or XHTML?) and we seemed to settle our minds on a simple XHTML output
> for the interface, plus of course the XML backend for AJAX
> sub-requests.
>
> Still, someone on the #apache-modules IRC channel (was it chipig or
> iholsman ? I don't remember) came up with some questions about
> mod_mbox internationalization.
>
> mod_mbox does not have a lot of strings ('prev', 'next', etc. Stuff
> like that), but it actually does not contain any i18n mechanism (these
> strings are hard coded in the C code).
>
> We are here facing problems, whatever solution is used :
>
> - If we choose XHTML output, strings of the interface will be
>   hard coded in the C code (in 'normal' / non-javascript browsing)

There's no reason the strings have to be hard coded into the C code.
You can pull them out into some sort of language specific file, just
like any other C program that worries about i18n.

Honestly, that seems like a far better solution to me.  XML+XSLT seems
like extreme overkill if all you want is a way to have the strings
change on a per-language basis.

-garrett