httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAdams <je...@iglou.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:56:06 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 7/7/05, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
>>inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
>>graduation from the Incubator.

> +1 (not that you need any more votes)

> FTP can be crufty, but ftp clients are everywhere, and for that reason
> it is useful to provide ftp as a way to get at data without a hassle,
> particularly on random boxes where you don't want to worry if client
> software for more "modern" protocols is already installed/configured.

I'm not an ASF member...and I'm not sure what in this message triggered
this thought, but...for what its worth.

I'm glad to see this work as well.  Just to throw out another potential
benefit down the road of this work.  I could easily see this resulting
in FTPS support finally being available in open source.  Not that I'm a
big fan of FTPS in general, but not having an FTPS server available in
the open source world is something of a gap that probably should be filled.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."