httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Georg von Zezschwitz <...@garnix.de>
Subject Re: Patch for 2.0.54 + OpenSSL 0.9.8
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:57:45 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>I have attached a patch to make mod_ssl compile with OpenSSL 0.9.8,
>>and also added an SSL variable "SSL_COMP_METHOD" to allow logging
>>(and other usages) of the negotiated compression method.
>>

>My concern is that older libraries would break under this patch.
>Do we care?

Why? There is a verification that
 a) there is an OpenSSL version number
 b) it is >= 0.9.8

Otherwise "NULL" is returned (which should be right for older versions).

I guess compression might get attractive as soon as the first browsers
support it,
and then people might get quite curious how many clients run compression.
So, I think the variable could be quite interesting.

>I changed the variable name to SSL_COMPRESS_METHOD, to kill the
>ambiguity of 'COMP'.  I've also added this to the StdEnvVars, since
>its not unreasonable for a CGI to behave differently, knowing that
>compression is already applied to the stream.

Absolutely, sorry!

>For that matter, mod_deflate aught to peek at this variable and
>just get out of the way :)  Patches welcome.

I'd like to suggest another patch, too:
Some people might prefer to disable compression for CPU load reasons.
Instead of compiling an OpenSSL version for these needs, a Apache
directive would be helpful.

>Finally you had one small typo, a simple string compare was more
>appropriate than a variable length compare (I was confused what
>you ment, did you want to accept SSL_COMP_ME)?

No, I made a "Copy&Paste"-flaw... Sorry, a 2nd time.

Cheers,

Georg