httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: more mod_smtpd stuff [was Summer of Code]
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:07:18 GMT
Rian Hunter wrote:

> Jem Berkes wrote:
>
>> To address one of the points brought up on IRC, if there is actually a
>> non-experimental target for this software any time soon it would make
>> more sense to support the 2.0 server as I think few production servers
>> would be running 2.1?  I'm just speaking from what I saw, that is,
>> among my colleagues I do not know anyone who has tried Apache 2.1 yet.
>>  Many are still stuck at 1.3, but those people suck anyway :)
>

> I think that deciding between 2.1 and 2.0 isn't a big deal since we
> can have source compatibility between them. You do make a good point
> when you mention all the poeple who still use 1.3. I think we should
> support 2.0, although (i'm not trying to sound negative) I'm pretty
> sure that most of the people that will be using mod_smtpd will be
> people writing specialized smtp setups (and running the latest httpd
> anyway) and not people who run production mail servers, even though
> mod_smtpd will be powerful enough to be a production mail server i
> just think sys admins are more stubborn about changing their mail
> server setup than the web server setup.
> -rian

FWIW, your email to this mailing list was handle by Apache::Qsmtpd,
running on Apache HTTPD 2.1.5:
http://asf.osuosl.org/server-status/

mod_perl + Apache::Qsmtpd.  It handles all incoming email for apache.org.

Don't discount the chances of someone running it in production very very
soon.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't revolutionize the mail server market
overnight and completely replace Qmail, but I think it would be pretty
cool to hear it handled X million emails in a 24 hour period.

-Paul