httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: mod-cache-requestor plan
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:54:24 GMT
On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:23:29AM -0500, Parin Shah wrote:
> - we need to maintain a counter for url in this case which would
> decide the priority of the url. But mainting this counter should be a
> low overhead operation, I believe.

Is a counter strictly speaking the right approach? Why not a time of
last access?

They give slightly different results, but each is more useful than the
other in certain situations. Before htcacheclean existed, I used find
and simply deleted files in order of oldest atime attribute until I had
enough free space.

That kind of behaviour was very useful in my situation (although it
involved mounting without the noatime mount option, which I dislike for
other reasons).

I havn't run a statistical analysis but based on my logs the likelyhood
of a url being accessed is very highly correlated to how recently it has
been accessed before. A truly popular page will always have been
accessed recently, a page that is becoming popular (and therefore very
likely to get future hits) will have been accessed recently and a page
who's popularity is rapidly diminishing will not have been accessed
recently.