httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "sleonardi@etnoteam.it" <sleona...@etnoteam.it>
Subject Re: mod-cache-requestor plan
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:47:50 GMT
Hi Parin
I'm a newbie too and I was preparing a clear_cache command in order to force cleaning of some
desired path.
Your idea is very good.
My personal considerations are:
1 - you have to avoid multiple requests to the back end: if the page is very frequently clicked
your mechanism can bring the system to perform many regeneration requests to the back end,
so maybe the best is to use a queue to purge duplicated requests
2 - if you already know the expiry time of the pages (when the page is inserted into the queue
you know) you could "book" the request for the regeneration instead of waiting for a request
close to the expiration
3 - it could be useful to perform regeneration just of "highly clicked" URLs, introducing
a heuristic to define what's a "highly clicked" URL in way similar to swapped-out pages from
memory in virtual memory management

Bye

     Sergio