httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <henri.go...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Syntax error during HTTP2 reload
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:39:32 GMT
Suse like many others major Linux distributions do not follow the
release rate since they should be sure that they won't break anything
in their users/customers settings after jumping from 2.0.49 to say
2.0.54.

To resume the question from Peter, who is the Suse Apache rpm
mainteners, was more to see if it was a known bug may be solved in
later release.

Regards

2005/6/8, Bill Stoddard <bill@wstoddard.com>:
> Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

> >>I didn't mean to imply that there is anything at all wrong with taking
> >>pristine Apache sources and turning it into a product, with the
> >>ncessary modifications  (applying security fixes == modifying).  After
> >>all, that's a major part of the job that pays my mortgage.  There are
> >>a number of vendors who do this.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > After I found your reply a bit puzzling at first, I think I understand
> > it now ;) I realize that I should add to my previous posting that I did
> > not mean to say that you should be expected to support vendor packages.
> > If it sounded like that, it wasn't my intention.
> >
> > It's just that you said you didn't know what code is in there, which
> > implied that there could be arbitrary modifications,
>
> No, this is not the issue at all... Let me try to explain via an extreme example to make
the point.

> I can download Apache 2.0.32 from the subversion repository. Then I use 2.0.32, and randomly
apply 73 patches
> that have gone into the source code repository between 2.0.32 and today (2.0.54). I complie
that server and it
> has bugs. All the code in my Apache HTTP Server 2.0.32 + 73 patches is -all- available
from the ASF. Would it
> be reasonable for me to expect this community to help me debug that server? Even if I
tell the community which
> 73 patches I applied, is it still reasonable to expect this community to help me debug
that server?  The
> answer is -no-, it is not reasonable.
>
> To drive the point home a bit more deeply... What would you say if I told you that aside
from two standalone
> modules (mod_ibm_ssl and mod_ibm_ldap) that all the other code in the core IBM HTTP Server
(v2) is available
> from the ASF (either via the source code repository or the mailing list archives)?  Does
that mean this
> community should be expected to help 'support' the "ASF portion" of IBM HTTP Server?
Absoulutely not.