httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_http 2.1.5-HEAD connection pooling
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 03:00:46 GMT
At 06:59 PM 6/6/2005, Gregory Steuck wrote:

>The only snug is: mod_jk performance is noticeably better. I
>guess that this is caused by mod_proxy opening connections all the
>time while mod_jk reuses TCP sockets.

Well, if you are playing in 2.1-dev, you better be using ajp
in your scenario!  ajp13 is a binary protocol.  It consumes
far fewer bytes, and far less cpu, composing the headers and
decomposing them in coyote on the Tomcat side.

The connection pooling and load balancing scenarios are primarily
designed for 1:many scenarios.  Since that doesn't apply to your
case, the distinction is insignificant.

mod_proxy_ajp reportedly uses less cpu, bandwidth and time than
the previous jk, jk2 or proxy implementations.  So your report
came as no surprise.  For debugging I agree, use proxy http, but
for load, sick with proxy_ajp.

Bill