httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Proposal: Drop .Z dist file for 2.1/2.2
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:09:24 GMT
We ship with 3 to 4 different packages of the source for each release.

Currently, we ship bzip2(.bz2), gzip(.gz) and old school compress (.Z)
for each release. In addition, we do get .zip files for win32 too.

Sizes:
 12M    httpd-2.1.6-alpha.tar.Z
5.4M    httpd-2.1.6-alpha.tar.bz2
7.4M    httpd-2.1.6-alpha.tar.gz

So, .Z is more than twice as big as bz2.  I don't see any reason to keep
including it, since every modern system has gzip, or can get it.

Any objections to only shipping gzip and bzip2?

If I don't hear anything, I will remove .Z from the scripts later today.

Thanks,

Paul