httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Keepalives
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:27:02 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> No, it doesn't :)  But lowering the keepalive threshold to three
> to five seconds does.

For us, in heavy loads, that's 3-5 seconds that a thread cannot process
a new client.  Under normal circumstances, the 15 seconds is fine, but
when we are stressed, we need to free threads as quickly as possible.

>  Also, I'd be very concerned
> about additional load - clients who are retrieving many gifs (with
> no pause at all) in a pipelined fashion will end up hurting the
> over resource usage if you force them back to HTTP/1.0 behavior.

Yes, but if all threads are "waiting" for x seconds for keepalives (even
if it is 3-5 seconds), the server cannot service any new clients.  I'm
willing to take an overall resource hit (and "inconvenience" some
clients) to maintain the overall availability of the server.

Does that make any sense?  It does to me, but I may not be explaining
our problem well.

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer