httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Configuration Module using Shared memory
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:04:55 GMT
On Thursday 23 June 2005 18:58, Mihir Mohan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am writing a module in which i am using my own configuration xml
> file.

Fine so far, though apache-modules would probably be a better place
to have posted this.

> I provide the functionality of dynamic configuration. user can
> change the XML file and pass it as special request to my module to
> update the configuration.

That's unusual, and should be very carefully reviewed for security.

> It works fine for non prefork module, but
> with the prefork MPM i use shared memory to store the DOM tree.

Erm, how extensively have you tested with other MPMs?  I think you
could be in for some surprises there.

As for shared memory, you're up against the usual problem: you store
a pointer (by value), but lose what it points to.  IMO far more trouble
than it's worth - unless you make it your task to do exactly that for a
student project (and don't expect much performance), or something.

> ? Please let me know, if  their is a better
> way.

KISS.  If your config is an XML file, store it on disc, and check the
timestamp to detect when it wants reloading.

--
Nick Kew