httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dr. Peter Poeml" <po...@suse.de>
Subject Re: Syntax error during HTTP2 reload
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:35:04 GMT
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:08:35AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 6/8/05, Dr. Peter Poeml <poeml@suse.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 05:57:39AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > >
> > > sure; note that you're using old code (2.0.49/2.0.49) which isn't
> > > supported here anyway since we don't know what code is in it (SuSE)
> >
> > (sorry about the late reply)
> >
> > The apache shipped by SUSE is basically built from the pristine sources.
> > A package named 2.0.49 would contain exactly version 2.0.49, except for
> > - changes of configuration (I always complied 100% to the old license :)
> > - security fixes, which are added later (inevitably)
> > - and, since the codebase was relicensed under the Apache License 2.0
> >   and it is now allowed to do that, an occasional important fix from
> >   later released versions of the respective branch
>
> I didn't mean to imply that there is anything at all wrong with taking
> pristine Apache sources and turning it into a product, with the
> ncessary modifications  (applying security fixes == modifying).  After
> all, that's a major part of the job that pays my mortgage.  There are
> a number of vendors who do this.
[...]

After I found your reply a bit puzzling at first, I think I understand
it now ;) I realize that I should add to my previous posting that I did
not mean to say that you should be expected to support vendor packages.
If it sounded like that, it wasn't my intention.

It's just that you said you didn't know what code is in there, which
implied that there could be arbitrary modifications, but this is not the
case, which is why I'm confident that the bug that Henri saw would occur
with a tarball from apache.org just as well. However, digging deeper in
my mailbox I just found a later mail from Henri and it looks as if the
problem disappeared in a later version (2.0.53). So it seems the problem
was solved already. (Sorry about the confusion. Still catching up.)

Thanks,
Peter

--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH                 Thought is limitation.
Research & Development                   Free your mind.