httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: problems w/ geronimo wiki (cache???)
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:50:17 GMT
--On Monday, June 6, 2005 4:01 PM +0200 Sander Striker <striker@apache.org>
wrote:

>> So this is the same problem reported here:
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200505.mbox/%3c428F94
>> BE.1010705@gmx.de%3e
>>
>> which Sander said he was working on.  Any progress?  The cache is kind
>> of useless at the moment, dogfood-wise.
>
> In short, with details left out:  The problem was that the 304 was not
> propagated down into the filterstack; leaving the CACHE_SAVE filter no
> chance to morph the 304 into a full response in case the client did a
> non-conditional request.
>
> This problem was solved, but apparently we have regressed.

So, I had a chance to look at it.  It's the same problem but in a different
module.  cgi_handler never sends an EOS down the filter chain when it gets
a 304 (anything non-200).  The problem above was that mod_proxy wouldn't
send an EOS either in this same case.

We really need a way to generically solve this problem to ensure that an
EOS is always sent for every request when the request's filter chains are
still active.

The short-term solution is to get cgi_handler to send the EOS in
cgi_handler (circa line 924 in the log_script path); but there really has
to be a better way.  For now, I'll commit a fix that matches what we did
with mod_proxy; but this pattern keeps emerging.  -- justin