httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Short circuiting the request phase?
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 06:21:58 GMT
This is my final plea to kill fast_internal_redirect.

Jeff Trawick recently noted that the change to mod_dir means
that a request for / (translated to /index.foo) means that
/index.foo can't be manipulated by mod_rewrite.  If they choose
to manipulate the request, they must do so at the '/' phase.

This was *always* true for / where it translated to /index.html.en.
Since 1.3, mod_negotiation+mod_rewrite would perform a fast
internal redirect (from / to /index.html) to index.html.en w/o
a chance for rewrite or any other module to interceed.

I believe, having fixed much of fast_internal_redirect, that we
made a bad call ever adopting this for mod_negotiation.

I propose to fix, unwinding this fix to 2.0, then 1.3.  Although
we can't eliminate this entry point from 1.3 or 2.0, we can at
least stop using it internally within our own modules.

Comments before I proceed on 2.1?

Bill

p.s. I equally disagreed about quick_handler.  But given how that
has been used (not abused) as a built-in, squid-like proxy front
end, I no longer disagree with the concept.  As much as I've grown
to appreciate quick_handler, I've grown to further detest the idea
of a fast_internal_redirect.