httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: adddefaultcharset and proxypass
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 07:29:14 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> Jie Gao wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>apache_2.0.52
>>-------------
>>
>>In an instance of a webserver, AddDefaultCharset is set to iso-8859-1,
>>and a subset of the website is ProxyPass'ed to another site, which does
>>not have AddDefaultCharset set. The front-end server adds
>>charset=iso-8859-1 to the header of the output of the backend server.
>>Is this expected behaviour?
>

> Expected Behavior: yes.
>
> Desired: Depends.

On what?  It's a bug to change the header unless the proxy makes a
corresponding change in the data, or at least verifies it.  But it's
really a configuration bug in having a default charset in the proxy
scope.

FWIW mod_proxy_html will change both the header and the data to UTF-8.

> Anyways, in newer versions, we do not include the AddDefaultCharset in
> the configuration.

Yep.  As discussed elsewhere, a serverwide DefaultCharset is simply
wrong in many cases.  Whatever we do will be right for some and wrong
for others.