httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Listen-Protocol Branch
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 15:15:47 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 04:26:41PM -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
>
>>Branch URL:
>>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/listen-protocol/
>>
>>I have created a branch to:
>>
>>1. Add a 'protocol' to the Listen Command. (done)
>>
>>2. Add a Protocol command to force the protocol inside a vhost. (done)
>

> It seems a little confusing to allow Listen to take a protocol argument
> *and* have a separate directive to do the same.  Why not just use
> "Protocol" for both?

The reason Listen takes the protocol argument is to apply accept filters
correctly, you must map a single protocol to a single listener.

Reverse mapping, ie, from lots of independent Protocol commands inside a
Virtual Host to the Listener Socket seems much harder, and more confusing:

Listen *:80
Listen *:9080
<VirtualHost *:80>
Protocol http
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
Protocol http
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80 *:9080>
Protocol some-other-protocol
</VirtualHost>

Since you can have many virtual hosts that map to possibly many Listen
Commands, I think this is harder to understand. (Do we use the default
virtual host to select the protocol for a Listener?  What if the default
virtual host doesn't specify a protocol?)

With the current design, the use of the Protocol command is to override
the default set by the Listen Command.

> Also, is this also going to fix the PR#33398 issue?

It could. It doesn't right now. I will look at fixing it.

Thanks,

-Paul