httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hoefakker <>
Subject Re: ap_getword_conf should die.
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 01:07:42 GMT
Regarding #3 -- Please don't remove support support for environment
variables within the config.  I find that to be a very useful feature,
especially when supporting multple httpd instances on a server. It works
great in conjunction with a modified version of apachectl -- which reads
instance information from a flat file -- and in turn exports variables
as needed to be referenced in httpd.conf.

Paul Querna wrote:
> We need a better public method for parsing configs with quoted args, or
> when they are split between multiple lines.
> Currently, ap_getword_conf has a few problems:
> 1. There is no way to tell the difference between:
> Command foo
> and:
> Command foo ""
> If the last arg is a "", it looks exactly like the end of the command.
> 2. The quoting is just wrong.  For example, you cannot have an argument
> that ends in \, because the \ is used for escaping ".  But, \ cannot be
> used to escape \ itself.. ie no \\.
> 3. ap_resolve_env().  Why is this sprinkled all over the configuration
> code?  Using ${ENV} inside the config for any directive is not
> documented.  I think we should just toss it out.
> I am not sure if changing this function is wise, since it has been in
> the public interface _forever_, and there might be modules that rely
> upon these behaviors.  Thoughts?
> I propose making a new function. Then move the core config code over,
> mark ap_getword_conf as @depreciated, and plan to remove it in the
> $future.  I don't think changing the behavoirs of ap_getword_conf is a
> good plan, since it may result in misconfiguration problems.
> -Paul

View raw message