httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: stress testing of Apache server
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 19:51:14 GMT

> 	Ok,  there's one area where I've had trouble with Apache performance,
> and that's in serving very big files.  If you've got a lot of people
> downloading 100 MB files via dialup connections,  the process count can
> get uncomfortably high.  I've tried a number of the 'single process' web

My expericen with dialup or satcom links is that such is mostly a function
of the OS and its TCP stack. Apart from upping the obvious it can help to
disallow (or intentionally) allow large buffers on OS level and/or tune
the moment the lingering starts to let apache off the hook again. The
behavioural differences between BSD, Linxu and Solaris are enourmous for
this type of workload.

Dw