httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Branch 2.1.x on May 13
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 02:35:15 GMT
Sander Striker wrote:

> If the trees are so in sync that the same patch applies it's trivial
> to do the backports.
>
> The backport issue will still stay FWIW.  If not now, it will come
> at the time we have 2.0 and 2.2 out there, and trunk is at 2.3-dev.
> It's not like we can drop support for 2.0 then.
>
> Well, it would let people continue to have a place where they can
> develop the larger features/refactoring jobs.  That's indeed only
> a handful of people, but at the same time a group of people who
> do a lot of work.

I submit that we can't have it both ways, and expect 2 trees to be
both "easily" in sync and yet one where major refactoring is taking
place... Look at the proxy diffs between 2.0 and 2.1 as an example.

I think our goal should be in getting 2.2 out, rather than creating
yet another branch, which would result in 3 "versions" of 2.x being
in active development. Will branching 2.1 help that? Maybe the
large refactoring place should be branch instead?
    "There 10 types of people: those who read binary and everyone else."