httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Branch 2.1.x on May 13
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 21:28:39 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>  From discussion - I see us branching 2.1.x anyways, but still object
> since we will now be maintaining two or three backports for every
> bugfix commit to trunk/.  Humbly suggest this isn't the conclusion
> we reached at AC Las Vegas, and suggest it's still the wrong solution
> to a non-problem.

Bill makes some good points... it seems that branching would simply be
"renaming" trunk. The good thing is that with svn this is cheap
and easy, but will it really do what we want? Also, the "gotta
backport this to yet another branch" issue is valid.

In other words, trunk is 2.1 anyway, so what does a branch provide?
I would say it's a perception advantage mostly.
    "There 10 types of people: those who read binary and everyone else."