httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [1.3 PATCH] Win32 RewriteLog deadlock
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:45:57 GMT
On Apr 1, 2005 2:17 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> At 09:16 AM 4/1/2005, Eric Covener wrote:
> >In 1.3.x we're seeing the following reproducible problem when
> >RewriteLog is enabled in on Win32:

I can't make it crash in less than a minute; maybe it isn't so bad after all ;)

> >Attempt at a patch using CriticalSection instead of _locking() is
> >attached, but I am by no means a win32 person -- hopefully someone can
> >take a look.
>
> However, it will break Windows 9x/ME so, for 1.3, we need at least
> some detection to decide if we use this solution.

I don't have a Win9x box any more to test, but doc says this

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/initializecriticalsection.asp)

Requirements
Client 	Requires Windows XP, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows NT
Workstation, Windows Me, Windows 98, or Windows 95.
Server 	Requires Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 Server, or Windows NT Server.

(same list for EnterCriticalSection)

>                                                                            I'm not that
> keen on perpetually supporting Win9x as we move forward, but that
> doesn't mean we should break 1.3 upgraders who are keeping their
> Win9x machines plugging along.

agreed; given the doc reference above, are you still concerned about Win9x/ME?

>                                                       You can argue Win9x is dead, but
> I'd argue instead 1.3 on Win32 is dead :)

yep (without closing the door on the goal that the ASF's apache-1.3
svn branch is the place where the best known code for Apache 1.3 on
Win32 is maintained as long as there are enough approvers to care to
review)