httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: keepalivetimeout and 2.2 configs
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:04:13 GMT

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Rich Bowen wrote:
> See http://httpd.apache.org/server-status for an example. Note that
> (most of the time) most of the processes are in K. I'm willing to bet
> that reducing KeepAliveTimeout to 2 or 3 will drop the number of child
> processes significantly, reduce overall server load, and improve server
> performance under peak traffic.

Oh, and by the way, I don't really agree with this.  KeepAliveTimeout on
www.apache.org is currently 5.  Reducing it would only help performance if
we are hitting MaxClients.  And since we don't have a memory problem, if
we are hitting MaxClients we should be raising MaxClients, not reducing
KeepAliveTimeout.  Connections in KeepAlive aren't using any resources
except memory, so messing with this only helps memory-constrained servers
(which, admittedly, are not uncommon).

Joshua.