httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject simple-conf branch
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:58:26 GMT
Please take a look at

This is my long-threatened project to massively simplify the basic
httpd.conf by splitting a bunch of stuff out into smaller files in the
extra/ directory that are not included by default.  I believe this makes
the whole thing *much* simpler to understand for a newcomer.  I've already
brough it down to about 60% of its original size, and I think we can do

If you have major problems with this concept, please speak now.

If you have suggestions for the implementation, speak up or just commit
away on the branch.

Here are some things I would like to see done on this branch.  Feel free
to jump in.

1. Fix "make install" to deal with the extra/ directory.  Probably need to
change the name of all those config files to add "-std".  (I suggest
making another directory called "standard" or "as-installed" or something
to put the pristine copies of all the config files.)

2. Various tweaks on comments/ordering/etc to make things clearer.  I
believe the main httpd.conf can still be paired down a little more.

3. Move the documentation-related stuff into extra/.  This requires more
discussion, so I left it for now.

4. Make code changes to bring the "not in config file" defaults in line
with the stuff in httpd.conf, and to make the default configuration
overall less dangerous.  For example:
   - Making UserDir disabled the default as discussed before.
   - Fixing the SSLRandomSeed defaults so that these directives don't need
     to be in the config.  (See the bottom of

5. Add more stuff to extra/, such as examples for mod_dav, mod_proxy,
mod_cache, etc.

View raw message