httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathanael Noblet <nathan...@gnat.ca>
Subject Re: File attachments...
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:15:23 GMT

On Apr 25, 2005, at 9:22 AM, Ivan Barrera A. wrote:

> .scr files are usually windows screensaver files (exe files with
> another extension).
> Most probably they are virus/worms/trojan , etc.
>
> If they are bounced to you, as if you were sending them, it is because
> someone with windows (outlook probably) has you on the address book,
> and his computer is infected with some worm.
>
> Not to worry for you. For any other running windows, they shouldn't
> try to load the files.

Um, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. Let me try again.

My mail server is receiving mail from the list, destined for me,
containing .scr files. It does not deliver them to me, and bounces it
back to the list. This is all good as far as I am concerned. The
problem stems from the fact that the list server complains, and sends
me emails periodically that if my address bounces again, it might
remove me. So I was wondering if there was a mechanism to have the list
reject mail that has .scr attachments, thus they never get to me, I
never bounce them and the list server doesn't complain about me
bouncing mail back at it periodically. If this isn't possible then
perhaps I'll have to tell my server to silently drop .scr files instead
of bouncing, but I figured as they are likely viral, that it might be
better to drop it one hop closer to the source was all.

Thanks for the responses,
--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions