httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Default Modules
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:41:11 GMT
At 11:15 AM 4/6/2005, you wrote:
>I changed mod_imap this morning from 'yes' to 'most', because I was tired of disabling
it every time I do a new install.  I think we should reconsider what modules are enabled by
default.  Here is my list of suggested changes:

>mod_version: all -> yes
>mod_asis: yes -> no
>mod_imap: most -> no
>mod_dumpio: most -> all
>mod_rewrite: most -> yes
>
>I think adding mod_rewrite as a default is the most controversial... so, what about the
others :) ?

rewrite does -nothing- if not told to.  I'm happy with that.
Disabling modules is more controversial.  Very few use imap,
so I agree.  I'd disagree with asis.  It does nothing if not
told to, and provides a vital functionality for a limited
number of cgi's.

At 11:26 AM 4/6/2005, Rici Lake wrote:

>mod_ident: most -> no
>mod_ssl: no -> all
>mod_proxy (and friends) no -> all

Totally disagree with proxy and ssl.  Installed, they change
the entire scope of httpd operation.  To run a basic http:
protocol server, you use neither.  To add https: may or may
not violate local ordinances, so we must not enable it unless
explicitly told to, and to add proxy behavior means you have
a specific intent for that httpd server.

I agree with ident for the very same reasons.  Extending http
using the (very -slow- and infrequently deployed) ident method
is an exceptional, not typical feature, and has nothing to do
with the http: protocol.