httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [1.3 PATCH] Win32 RewriteLog deadlock
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:17:10 GMT
At 09:16 AM 4/1/2005, Eric Covener wrote:
>In 1.3.x we're seeing the following reproducible problem when
>RewriteLog is enabled in on Win32:
>
>Attempt at a patch using CriticalSection instead of _locking() is
>attached, but I am by no means a win32 person -- hopefully someone can
>take a look.

While I don't have cycles to look at this till next week, this
sounds like a very good solution.  Win32 1.3 will never have
multiple processes, so the critical section is an optimal solution.

However, it will break Windows 9x/ME so, for 1.3, we need at least
some detection to decide if we use this solution.  I'm not that
keen on perpetually supporting Win9x as we move forward, but that
doesn't mean we should break 1.3 upgraders who are keeping their
Win9x machines plugging along.  You can argue Win9x is dead, but
I'd argue instead 1.3 on Win32 is dead :)

Bill