httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r.pl...@t-online.de
Subject Re: mod_cache caching the 301 Moved Permanently
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:49:24 GMT

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 4/22/05, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

[..cut..]

>>I don't get it.  What's your problem?  -- justin
>

> The 'here' link is to http://www.beach-clothing.com:8080/where-to-buy/
> while he wants it do be to http://www.beach-clothing.com/where-to-buy/

His problem is a different one. If you type http://www.beach-clothing.com/where-to-buy
(without the slash) you have the following headers (first my request / second server reply):

GET /where-to-buy HTTP/1.1
Host: www.beach-clothing.com
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:39:58 GMT
Server: Apache
Age: 142880
Keep-Alive: timeout=3, max=20
Connection: Keep-Alive

The problem seems to be, that the proxied backend server that is cached via mod_disk_cache
originally
delivers HTTP status 301 and the Location http://www.beach-clothing.com/where-to-buy/, but
once cached
mod_disk_cache delivers HTTP status 200 instead of 301 (but correctly redelivering the Location
header).
I have not proved this for myself so far, but this seems the problem to me.

I think the difference between the here link and the Location header can be explained by the
ProxyPassReverse
directive which rewrites the Location header, but not the HTML code in the error page.

Regards

RĂ¼diger