httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: AP_MODE_EATCRLF considered indigestible
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:49:17 GMT
Rici Lake wrote:

> On 18-Apr-05, at 9:43 AM, Greg Ames wrote:
>
>> if the network data for pipelined request n+1 isn't already present
>> during ap_read_request for request n, it is highly unlikely to arrive
>> by the time we start writing the response for request n.
>

> It may well arrive during the time we're writing the response, though,
> if it is based on information from the response.

yes, for example if it's the main .html page with imbedded graphics/whatever and
network latency is low.

>>   if a new request does arrive during that window it's no big deal.
>> we might write one small packet to the network and nothing breaks.
>

> I agree with this. I doubt whether the optimization actually buys enough
> to make it worth the trouble. Also, if we ever get it wrong and leave
> unflushed data at the end of a request, it will look like the request is
> stalled.

correct again.

to be clear, what I'd like to see is this:  when in doubt, flush.  if we have a
cheap way of knowing that stashed input data (i.e. the next request) is already
present, maybe don't flush.

Greg