httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: simple-conf ready for merge
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:17:10 GMT

Brad Nicholes wrote:
>    I'm still not a big fan of removing the MPM settings from the httpd.conf file.  All
of the other extra .conf files contain supplemental configuration but the MPM configuration
seems to be more along the lines of a ServerRoot or Listen.  Despite the fact that these are
technically module directives, MPM directives just feel more like core directives.

It's not really a question of core/module.  Lots of core directives were
removed too.  The question is: "Is this a directive that many/most users
need to change?"  For most of the mpm directives, the answer is clearly
"no".  (Although you could argue about something like
MaxClients/MaxThreads.)

[ Side note:
The other question is "How much confusion does the presence of these
directives add to the config file?"  That mess of <IfModule xxx_mpm> was
horribly confusing IMHO.  That could be solved by intelligently
including only the section for the relevant mpm in the default config,
but that would require more complex build changes than I am up to.
]

Joshua.