httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Who owns a passed brigade?
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:05:42 GMT
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:44:39AM -0500, Rici Lake wrote:
> Allocating the brigade out of the bucket allocator but continuing to
> register the cleanup with a pool (say, the request pool if that were
> appropriate) might work but it would be fragile.

Fragile, why?  That's exactly the right approach as far as I can see.
Leaving the pool cleanup exactly as-is ensures that the brigade
structures have *at most* a lifetime equivalent to today, but using the
bucket allocator means that you *can* shorten the lifetime by destroying
the brigade earlier, if you want.

> The heated discussion at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=104039785500003&r=2&w=2 is probably
> relevant.

Yup, and the retention of the pool cleanup is exactly why I don't
understand the argument that allocating brigade structures out of the
bucket allocator could cause memory leaks.  On the contrary, it allows
us to *fix* the unbounded memory usage which some filters suffer from
today.

joe