httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: simple-conf branch
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:35:27 GMT
On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 08:38:44AM -0400, Paul A. Houle wrote:
> 	There are good operational reasons to split up configuration in
> 	different  files -- if the Apache install can encourage good practices,
> based on the  decade of experience we've had with it,  that's a good thing.

You have a complex series of sites and a deep understanding of
configuration and sysadmin issues to keep it manageable. For somebody
*new* to this, they need the utmost simplicity. Even a strong sysadmin
needs something simple so they can figure out what they're working with
and then blend that into their environment.

If we shipped a setup similar to yours, most people would cry with
frustration trying to figure out where to turn this or that knob.

Documentation to help people with configuration issues and ideas can
easily be provided for admins who have moved past the "single static file
website". We already have a lot of documentation. Admittedly, it doesn't
describe scenarios like yours, but I'll venture to guess that you're in
the few-percent case. I'm more than happy to have our doc folks
concentrating on the other 97% :-)

Cheers,
-g

--