httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: simple-conf branch
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:01:34 GMT
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 01:03:27PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 09:37 AM 4/4/2005, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> >+1 to Greg's comment, I also think that for a new users, having a bunch of little
.conf files will be more confusing.  For experienced users, they will split up the .conf file
however they see fit anyway.  So it doesn't really matter.
> With all due respect, if we break this into 'logical' groups,
> I believe it will make it easier for the new user to learn each
> group of features, one .conf fragment at a time.
> Most 'cookbooks' are organized this way, and it turns out to be
> a great method of teaching.

Sorry, but I very much disagree. I think back to the old days of
access.conf, httpd.conf, and srm.conf. As an administrator, I absolutely
detested that layout. I could NEVER figure out which file a given
configuration was in. I always had to search, then edit.

We've been to the "multiple .conf world" before. It sucked. We pulled
everything back into a single .conf to get the hell outta there.

Small examples are fine. The default configuration should remain as a
single .conf file.

Greg Stein,

View raw message