httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Udey <danu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: simple-conf branch
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:28:58 GMT
What makes matters worse is that the update-apache2-script that apache2
comes with in Debian doesn't seem to work in any situation I've tried it in
(or maybe I'm just not using it right), rendering the entire configuration
confusing for no substantial reason.

That being said, the idea behind the Debian configuration makes things like
adding vhosts easy - put them in a file, drop them into sites-enabled, and
restart. Definitely easier than adding them to the httpd.conf file by hand
(and then having to re-order them when you want one to be the default). One
vhost (or set of relevant vhosts) per file, and you can swap in/out at will.

Personally, I'm inclined to think this would be useful to new users. It's
easier for newbies to worry about one 10-line file at a time, instead of a
monolithic 1000-line file (for reference, my httpd.conf from apache1 in
Debian is now at 1091 lines, while my apache2.conf is at 394), and for
sysadmins, they don't have to worry about where which directive is and
whether or not there's an important LoadModule or SetEnvIf somewhere between
two unrelated vhosts.

--
Dan Udey