httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Burgoyne <burgo...@keenuh.com>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:16:21 GMT

But how many people really need 10,000+ concurrent connections?

Obviously CNN does. I'll make a bet Amazon does. Lets add ebay. Those are
power users.

The web site I manage does about 5 million hits per day (not including
graphics, style sheets, etc which are served by a different server), 80%
of which are in a ten hour window. Thats 400,000 per hour, 7000 per minute. Thats about 100
hits per second.
Average delivery time is running about 1 second on it per hit or so, and
we see a need to run about 150 preforks during peak times.

Now what percentage of installations see more then 5 million hits per day?
I'd dare say it is pretty small.

I'd also wager a godo cold ale that the larger sites also have a decent
level of expertise to tune their whole system to betetr handle their load.
In ym case I realized an issue with the URI translation phase was causing
issues, and one week and one apache module later I reduced the number of
Apache pre forks required by 70% and reduced the latency time by 60%.
Those numbers are both above what 2.0 would have bought me with less work.

It wouldn't suprise me if many sites are in the same boat. Those with
eough hits to justify a move to 2.0 likely have a higher level of
expertise that would allow for a better understanding ofApache and better
tuning to provide maximum performance.

Jeffrey Burgoyne

Chief Technology Architect
KCSI Keenuh Consulting Services Inc