httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: do we still want sendfile enabled with our default conf files?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:02:25 GMT
--On Friday, March 18, 2005 12:20 PM -0500 Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com>
wrote:

> google does; keywords "ntfs" "smbfs" and some other "UDF" ("Universal
> Disk Format (UDF) ", which I've never heard of

"ntfs sendfile freebsd" 2nd hit on Google is a patch I sent to FreeBSD lists
years ago about a sendfile() problem in ftpd.  =)

> I don't see any checks in APR by FreeBSD-using developers to try to
> figure out if the file being served just might not be served properly
> due to filesystem problems.

There are already autoconf checks and run-time version checks for FreeBSD
sendfile() issues.  Yes, there aren't any run-time checks based on
filesystems, but that's just never been brought up.

> I don't understand where you're coming from on this "brain dead"
> "buggy OS" crap.
> Every OS is a complete PITA at one point or another.  It is not a
> constructive talking point.  We're beyond that and are trying to find
> a practical way to avoid some pain for our users.

All I'm saying is that we should put forth a solid effort to have APR deal
with these cases as best as we can rather than forcing the admin to know the
details of their operating system.  In fact, I think I'm displaying more
sympathy to the admins than 'we can't help you - you need to guess'.  -- justin