httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "TAYLOR, TIM \(CONTRACTOR\)" <TIM.TAY...@DFAS.MIL>
Subject RE: Actively Promoting Apache 2
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:34:29 GMT
That's what you get for suggesting marketing to techies, Wayne. Anyway I was thinking the same
thing. Heck the "puzzling thread" provided some good marketing fodder already:

Bojan Smojver wrote:
...Given that all major Linux and other distros ship Apache 2 as a
default web server, it's only a matter of time.

--------------------
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
...255 concurrent clients is really low now-a-days for high-end
production servers.  Heck, 2.x's hard limit is 200,000 not 256.

It's when you start to get into several thousand concurrent connections
that I've found that the memory model of prefork starts to get painful.
And memory usage also depends on whether your OS does optimistic or
pessimistic memory allocation.  It's impossible to run high MaxClients with
prefork on, say, Solaris without having large amounts of swap dedicated.

--------------------
Paul Querna wrote:
One white-box machine (say 2Ghz) with 2 gigs of ram, running the Worker
or Event MPM can easily handle ~2500 concurrent clients.

Buy more machines for redundancy.

--------------------
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
you don't know *what* you are missing :)  Threads on
Linux barely differ from distinct processes, while on Solaris
they are truly lightweight.

Make it a priority to give this a shot, you will be impressed.

Brian Akins wrote:
We have run 10,000 + threads on our webservers routinely.  Can't do that
with 1.x

I wouldn't want to do it, but brainwashing (err) marketing does work. Ask Microsoft!

regards,
tt