httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 16:42:00 GMT

On Feb 28, 2005, at 1:17 PM, Paul A. Houle wrote:
> 	Honestly,  I don't see a huge advantage in going to worker.  On Linux
> performance is about the same as prefork,  although I haven't done
> benchmarking on Solaris.

Under low-load conditions prefork often out-performs worker. Under
high-concurrency scenarios, worker tends to degrade gracefully while
under prefork you run the risk of running out of memory. Another benefit
of worker that I've seen is that it can respond to requests with lower
which may have a positive impact on a user's experience (pages snap in
more quickly). It would be nice to get some updated benchmarks on the
relative metrics, like requests/second, concurrency, latency, etc...

View raw message