httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Backport of AllowEncodedSlashes to Apache 1.3
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:46:55 GMT
At 04:56 PM 3/29/2005, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> At 10:47 AM 3/29/2005, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> >Since we're extending core_dir_config, we should document the
>> >change in core_dir_config
>>
>> Since the bit breaks binary compatibility, I'll toss my -1 into
>> the ring.  It's non-technical though, so not a veto.
>>
>> I wish we had pool datum, which would gracefully walk around this
>> issue.  But the patch may break mod_perl and other modules which
>> do their own thing with per-dir configs.
>>
>> It's definately an mmn bump, major.
>
>Other ones have not been  (ap_auth_nonce). But looking things over, I
>see that unfortunately MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MINOR was NOT updated
>when ap_auth_nonce was added, so we may have some silent
>issues floating around out there....

Yup it needed a bump.  But I have good news, and switch my vote to +0
(I still don't like rewrite interacting with encoded slashes)...

I forgot that the create_core_dir_config member of the core_module
is actually responsible for creating those dir configs, even for
a third party module.  No one should ever directly create that
structure, so with an mmn minor bump mod_perl and so forth should
not trip us up when the create their own dir sections.

Bill