httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 2.1.3 as beta
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:19:45 GMT
At 07:22 AM 3/6/2005, Sander Striker wrote:
>I assume we are in agreement that the current AAA discussion shouldn't
>hold up moving to 2.2 either.

Absolutely it does.  Either 2.1-dev has made implementing this
worse (my essentially workable proposal for 2.0 would no longer
work at all, with no workaround) or 2.1-dev has made implementing
such a feature possible, even trivial, even if it's not part of
the httpd-2.2 core.  Suggesting we push out 2.2 'as is, whatever'
would be like having shoved out either Ryan's or Greg's original
filter stack without the group coming to concensus (and best of
breed solution.)

I'm not saying we need to have this module.  I'm asking if our
new auth framework is worse or better than yesterday's for folks
to build upon it.

I'm sensing from comments that we've created a more complex
structure which is harder to work with, but might not quite solve
real world problems.  If that's true (I'm +/-0 on deciding until
I work this into 2.1-dev auth) then I'm one -1 on 2.2.0.

The point to 2.2 is we are doing things that 2.0 couldn't.  Either
we have added such things well, or poorly.  Only alphas in the
hands of module authors tell us the answer to this.  [For that
matter, something somewhere needs to attract our module community
to investigate, I don't think we successfully have engaged them.
Not even some high level "what's changed" exists today other than
good old CHANGES.txt.]

That said - -nothing- should ever hold up 2.1.x alpha anytime
someone has the energy to run with the ball!